In BIOCOAT we explore the use of sustainable, edible biocoating of probiotic cheese in combination with biodegradable packaging for extended shelf life and enhanced functionality.
01. Jan 2021
31. Dec 2023
EEA Financial Mechanism
Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Latvian University of Agriculture, Biotechnology Competence Centre, BioCC OÜ, Estonia.
Acknowledging existing demand for sustainable, safe and healthy foods our project team recognizes the opportunities to expand the usage of natural bioactive components and liquid acid whey in a form of cheese coating and bio packaging in order to improve cheese shelf life and functionality
The aim of BIOCOAT is to develop an edible coating formulated with liquid acid whey protein concentrate and bio active compounds, in combination with biodegradable packaging to ensure safety, extend the shelf life and enhance functionality of probiotic cheese.
- To develop edible coating formulated with liquid acid whey protein concentrate as a carrier for the bioactive compounds
- To select the biodegradable packaging with proper physicochemical and microbiological parameters suitable for probiotic cheese
- To analyze an effect of combining both edible coating and biodegradable packaging on safety and quality of probiotic cheese during the storage
- To analyze interaction on the contact surface of coating and cheese between protective lactic acid bacteria in the coating and probiotic bacteria in the cheese
- To analyze the intestinal health impact of the novel cheeses by in vitro digestion and fermentation
What we do
The project is a collaboration with the Baltic countries and lead by Lithuanian University of Health Sciences.
Nofima’s role in the project is to study the interaction and survival of lactic acid bacteria and probiotics in the cheese and during digestion and gut fermentation, and the impact on protein digestibility.