Skip to main content

Published 2022

Read in Norwegian

Publication details

Journal : Aquaculture Reports , vol. 26 , p. 1–11 , 2022

Publisher : Elsevier

International Standard Numbers :
Printed : 2352-5134
Electronic : 2352-5134

Publication type : Academic article

Contributors : Aas, Turid Synnøve; Åsgård, Torbjørn Einar; Ytrestøyl, Trine

Research areas

Feed development and nutrition

If you have questions about the publication, you may contact Nofima’s Chief Librarian.

Kjetil Aune
Chief Librarian
kjetil.aune@nofima.no

Summary

The utilization of feed resources in Norwegian salmon farming has previously been reported for 2010, 2012 and 2016. This paper presents an update for 2020, giving an overview of the feed ingredients used and retention of nutrients in fillet and whole salmon for the entire Norwegian salmon production.

A total of 1,976,709 tonnes of feed ingredients were used to produce 1,467,655 tonnes of salmon. The feed was produced from 22.4 % marine ingredients, 73.1 % vegetable ingredients and 4.1 % micro ingredients such as vitamin and mineral premixes, astaxanthin and crystalline amino acids. In addition, 0.4 %, or 8126 tonnes, of single cell protein, insect meal, fermented products and microalgae were used in salmon feeds. Norwegian marine protein and marine oil constituted 8.3 % of the ingredients. The remaining 91.7 % of the ingredients were imported. The feed conversion factor was 1.35 if calculated from feed ingredients ‘as is’, or 1.25 if calculated form ingredients on dry matter basis. The retention of energy, dry matter, protein, fat, EPA + DHA and phosphorus from feed was 39 %, 33 %, 34 %, 57 %, 49 % and 25 %, respectively, in whole salmon. In fillet, the corresponding retention rates were 25 %, 21 %, 25 %, 35 %, 32 % and 12 %, respectively.

The feed ingredients used and the utilization of feed in 2020 resembled that of 2016, except that there was an increase in the amount produced in 2020 and a slight increase in the economic feed conversion ratio (eFCR).

Contacts:

Topics associated with the publication