Recommendations for future organic aquaculture in Europe
The overall vision of the OrAqua project is the economic growth of the organic aquaculture sector in Europe, supported by science based regulations in line with the organic principles and consumer confidence.
01. Jan 2014
31. Dec 2016
EU - FP7
COISPA, DTU, Ifremer, USB, SLU, DLO, Debio, ICEA, ICROFS, FEAP, API, IZSVe, Culmarex
This film shows the OrAqua project’s recommendations on organic aquaculture.
Nofima is the coordinator of OrAqua, and are also in charge of the work package on socioeconomic issues.
- Reassess the relevance, measurability and applicability of the main technical provisions of Regulation EC 710/2009 for organic aquaculture against the basic organic principles;
- Generate robust science based recommendations for potential updates of the EC regulation as regards aquaculture of fish species, molluscs, crustaceans and seaweed, based on comprehensive reviewing, research and assessment, in addition to integrating feedback from key stakeholders through a participatory action research approach;
- Produce executive dossiers on the main technical background behind the recommendations that will emerge from this project. These will follow the structure of Chapter 3 of Annex II to the rules of procedure (final report template) of EGTOP;
- To underpin consumer demand for organic aquaculture products and development of organic aquaculture industry by giving robust and relevant recommendations, integrating aspects of consumer perceptions, unique competitive qualities as well as production systems, business and market economics and regulatory framework.
- To propose a model of structure for continuous assessment and advice on the improvement of regulations of organic aquaculture in the future, taking account of new scientific insights and changing competitive market environments.
Files and Links